Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pin It


Get Gadget

Leap Year

Every four years and extra day is added to the month of February, calling those years leap years. The 29th day of February is added as corrective measures due to the fact that the earth does not orbit around the sun in precisely 365 days.  This keeps the keep  the calendar year correctly in line with astronomical or seasonal year. If we did make such adjustment , the calendar would be off 24 whole days over 100 years. 
  
Happy Birthday to all the Leaplings.  There is a 1 in 1,1461 chance of being born on February 29th. In common years, they usually celebrate their birthdays on February 28 or March 1. In some situations, March 1 is used as the birthday in a non-leap year since it is the day following February 28.

This year, February 29th will be recognized as Rare Disease Day. Counties all over the world are calling for more research into conditions that (affect both children and adults) have no known cure. For more information please visit http://www.rarediseaseday.org/.

Here are some more interesting facts about leap years.  




Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. Cool isn´t it??? Although I think people with bday´s on the 29th may not think so....
    Thanks for stopping by
    See you around
    Lolo

    detodounlolo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was interesting! I'm a bit ashamed to admit I'd never really thought about leap years, and an extra in February! You opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I'd actually heard something about it being Rare Disease Day this morning.

    New fan, and I love your blog!

    OvertiredMommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You asked me about my son's and nephew's superhero costumes? One was from this year's Halloween, two were for next year's Halloween and the other was wearing a Batman PJ t-shirt, sweat pants and Batman underwear over the sweat pants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know this about leap year, super interesting stuff. Following you through chubby cheeks blog hop. I'd love it if you would follow me back. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete